Monday, March 15, 2010

cheat sheet

She had been up all night. He could see the faint circles the shadows of the dark had etched around her eyes. She dragged the wicker chair further away from the table and plopped on it. Her pink lips opened in a delicious O as she sucked in a yawn.

“You need some sleep,” he observed uselessly.

In response, she put her feet up on the table and slid further down in the chair. Her eyes were fixed on her unpainted toe nails. She wriggled them and then seemingly satisfied with their response, crossed one ankle over the other and closed her eyes.

“Thankfully we can afford a bed,” he smiled as he settled in his chair and flapped the creases of his newspaper. She did not grace him with a response. The breeze ruffled his newspaper. He ignored it. Annoyed, it moved on to flirt with her hair, lifting them off her shoulders and splashing them across her serene face. The sun giggled, struggling hard to balance its delicate position between the elegant V of the soft green leaves.

A couple of birds chattered about politics high up there.

“Honey,” she mumbled without opening her eyes, “what if I cheated on you?”

“Are you?” he asked without looking up from his paper.

“Am I what?”

“Cheating on me?”

“Would you believe me if I said I am?

“No.”

“Why?”

“Because if you were cheating on me, you would not tell me.”

“Why would I not tell you?”

“Because if you told me and did it, how does it qualify as cheating?”

She snapped her eyes open and smiled, “I never thought of it that way!” She grinned.

“So, to successfully cheat on you, all I would have to do is tell you. Because that way though I would be cheating on you, you would never believe it! It’s brilliant!” She said excitedly.

“This is by far one of the most enlightening Sunday morning conversations,” he drawled.

She stood up, knocking her chair off balance. “You bet!”

“Why did you want to know?” He peeped over the newspaper.

“Know what?”

“All about this cheating business?”

“Oh! Needed some help with new story I am working on!”

“You know you could drive any sane man up the wall,” he mumbled as he returned to his news.

“You are still sitting quite cozy on your ass!” She pointed out affectionately.

“The day I married you, I was declared insane!”

10 comments:

Raj said...

:) dull doesnt get any more interesting than this.

The Sage said...

waiting for the third part with ba(i)ted breath...

Crimson Feet said...

hahah... good one...sweet and.. well... generates infinite amounts of empathy in me.. (i wonder why?!? :) )

agree with raj!!

and my dear sage.. guess there wasnt a part 1 and there wont be any 3rd either ... beauty's blog brain is pretty much scattered that way ;)

Americanising Desi said...

uuuuuuuuuuuuuufffffff!!!

blunt edges said...

now isn't that a teasing post!

liked the husband's comeback :)

ps: great 2 see the next post within a week :D

rain girl said...

okkkk.. this cud be a part of the last post.. or totally not!

but i love it all the same!

rainboy said...

hahaha
what next?

Nikita Banerjee said...

Good read!

AshenGlow said...

Oh My God! Ab aage kya hoga???

Chewing nails,
Ashen

Vishal Raj said...

swapped off my feat. Extremely interesting.